Sunday, June 24, 2012

Times Flies... ZOOM!

Ah, yes, my poor, ignored blog.

I am sorry, blog, but I have been "wasting" my time in other pursuits. Writing. Reading. Writing. Reading. Uhm, writing and reading. Also, Life! I have one which helps me to write more about people, places, and things rather then about a lonely writer who spends her days reading and writing. Or some voracious reader who yens to be a writer. Or...

Wait, I think I do have one of those stories in my incomplete file. Gee, wonder why I haven't finished it yet?

Because, because, because...

Before I share any substantial updates in the life and times of Judi Rohrig, Ace Writer, let me share what I've been reading: a lot! As I indicated in previous posts, Hank Phillippi Ryan opened my eyes to my lack of reading novels written by women. Then I discovered while I had early on tackled and devoured works by mystery and thriller writers, I had never read anything in the Romance genre. Well, one: Indy Man by Janet Dailey, but a loooong time ago.

No, I am not about to confess reading 50 Shades of Grey. If I do, I will have to approach that one slowly. Friends of mine do not share kind words. Snob, am I? Maybe.

My friend, Kealan Patrick Burke, contends there are way too many books to be read for books to be reread. But if I like a book, I often do just that: reread it. Immediately or whenever I decide. My mother taught me I can think anything I want (though I cannot say anything I want!). I simply carried that over to: I can read whatever I want.Even if that means re reading!

So here's my short list of books I have reread in the past few months:

Gene Wolfe's Home Fires and Pirate Freedom (No, he's not a woman writer. Like Gene, I sometimes cannot be trusted.)
James W. Hall's Under Cover of Daylight (Again, a guy!)
John D. MacDonald's A Deadly Shade of Gold (Yup, guy.)
Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms (The guy!)
Pam Rosenthal's The Bookseller's Daughter
Miranda Neville's Burgundy Club series (all four of them!)
Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale
Barbara Samuel's The Black Angel 

Those are merely the books I was driven to read more than once. And you?

Coming up: But what have I been writing? And what is Life anyway? (The latter for my writerly friends)

And my quote? There was none at the beginning. Here it is at the end.

"A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it." Samuel Johnson

No comments: