Monday, October 8, 2012

Digging In for the Long, Cold Winter!

Temperatures have dipped a bit, momentarily dashing my fears of global warming, but making me tingle in anticipation of several books I've been anxious to read. So, while I may not have a fireplace to stoke, I do have a comfortable place to cuddle up with a book. And tea. And hot water. And a soft throw for my lap since Milo, the grandcat, likes his own places to curl up.

Anyway . . .

Hitting the bookstore shelves officially today is Mary Sharratt's Illuminations.

Newly canonized (May 2012) and honored as one of the Doctors of the Church (October 1012) by the Catholic Church, Hildegard von Bingen was much more than a mere 12th Century nun. She was a composer, playwright, writer, visionary, and theologian. Mary Sharratt, a fine teller of historical tales, offers her story in Illuminations.

Also high on my list is Mike Mullin's Ashen Winter, a follow-up to last year's fine, fine book, Ashfall.






Following a supervolcano at Yellowstone National Park which devastates a good part of America as well as Alex Halprin's home, Alex and his friend Darla, who finally make it to Alex's uncle's place in Ashfall, decide to go back to search for Alex's parents. I'm looking for Mullin to once again weave a tale chocked full of action and adventure.

I'll share more later. The teapot is whistling!









No comments: