Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Research means RE Search

On the sidebar, I've noted that PANDORA'S CLOSET, a new anthology coming from Daw next month, edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Jean Rabe, will contain a story of mine. "Revolution: Number 9" was a convergence (like most stories) of a number of ideas, though most particularly from two stories I read in the WALL STREET JOURNAL.

When Jean Rabe invited me to sublit a story, she asked for a tale that elaborated in some way about someTHING that could pop out or be dragged of a closet, Pandora's closet, no less.

Those familiar with Pandora and her box might recall how all manner of horrible things were released when she lifted the lid. In this new anthology, 19 writers allow her to render additional damage from a closet.

What came to my mind first was Johnny Cash's black shirt. I mulled the implications of where that story could go. That's when two different stories from the WSJ struck me. One involved the military use of Brain Ports (C) while the other considered how history had been rewritten by artists through placing spectacles on famous people who lived before glasses had come into use.

That's when John Lennon entered the mix.

And just how does all this gel? Heh heh. You'll have to read my story. PANDORA'S CLOSET will be available at all the online booksellers and through their brick 'n mortar stores, too, though you may have to ask them to order you a copy. (Please ask!)

At any rate, Rabe was kind enough to send me a link to an MSNBC story about Lennon's glasses. I invite you to take a look: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19796465/from/ET/.

PANDORA'S CLOSET will be released on August 7. You can't wait, right? Neither can I.

Best
Judi

No comments: